By John Dowson
Encompasses the huge hindu pantheon, explains vital occasions, legends, literary works and geographical locales.
Read or Download Classical Dictionary of Hindu Mythology and Religion, Geography, History PDF
Best hinduism books
In My Gita, acclaimed mythologist Devdutt Pattanaik demystifies The Bhagavad Gita for the modern reader. His particular approach—thematic instead of verse-by-verse—makes the traditional treatise eminently available, mixed because it is along with his trademark illustrations and straightforward diagrams.
Leela Prasad's riveting publication provides daily tales on matters reminiscent of deities, ascetics, cats, and cooking besides stylized, publicly introduced moral discourse, and indicates that the examine of oral narrative and function is vital to moral inquiry. Prasad builds on greater than a decade of her ethnographic study within the recognized Hindu pilgrimage city of Sringeri, Karnataka, in southwestern India, the place for hundreds of years a colourful neighborhood tradition has flourished along a practice of monastic authority.
An unabridged version, to incorporate: the cloth vs The non secular brain - who're our relationships - idea Currents - a technique to domesticate braveness - glance ahead! - God within the timber - a few legislation of beauty and health - Museum and Menagerie Horrors - The God in your self - therapeutic and Renewing strength of Spring - Immortality within the Flesh - charm of Aspiration - The Accession of recent notion
This pretty e-book opens a paranormal window at the devotional event of ecstasy. Sharing soul-awakening prayers and affirmations born at once of his excessive own nation of God-communion, the distinguished writer of Autobiography of a Yogi indicates readers tips on how to in achieving their very own ecstatic belief of the Divine.
- Dictionary of Hindu Lore and Legend
- The Concise Ramayana of Valmiki
- Why I am not a Hindu: a Sudra critique of Hindutva, philosophy, culture, and political economy
- Telling Queen Michal's Story: An Experiment in Comparative Interpretation (JSOT Supplement)
- Popular Science (June 2004)
Extra info for Classical Dictionary of Hindu Mythology and Religion, Geography, History
Some friends have told me that truth and nonviolence have no place in politics and worldly affairs. I do not agree. I have no use for them as a means of individual salvation. Their introduction and application in everyday life has been my experiment all along. –ABP, 30-6-44. 132. We have to make truth and nonviolence, not matters for mere individual practice but for practice by groups and communities and nations. That at any rate is my dream. I shall live and die in trying to realize it. My faith helps me to discover new truths every day.
190. God has blessed me with the mission to place nonviolence before the nation for adoption. For better or for worse the Congress, admittedly the most popular and powerful organization, has consistently and to the best of its ability tried to act up to it. I hope the learned critic does not wish to suggest that as the Congress did not accept my position, I should have dissociated myself entirely from the Congress and refused to guide it. My association enables the Congress to pursue the technique of corporate non-violent action.
Who eat of food after their sacrifice Are quit of fault, but they that spread a feast All for themselves, eat sin and drink of sin. By food the living live; food comes of rain.